Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Word 9- Superfluous

-Mitch and Jordan

Our word is superfluous.[soo-pur-floo-uhs]

(This word isn't from the list of SAT words but I talked to Mr.V and he said it would count as one.)

Adjective

Definition:
1. being more than is sufficient or required; excessive.
2. unnecessary or needless.

My definition:
excess or large amount, more than enough or more then is required.


This picture is superfluous because she has way more food then shee needs. You can say that the extra food is unnecessary or needless. excessive amount of food for one person.

Sentences
1-The U.S is superfluous with water, we use about two-thousand gallons a day for each person while africa has only about forty to sixty liters a day per person.
2-Resturants are superfluous, they have so much extra food that almost half ends up getting thrown out and wasted.

I would use this word when talking about politics, economics, or if im describing people with excess things ( like rich people or the U.S.). I would use it in my essays, with my friends, with teachers, and wit adults. It's an easy way to say that someone or something is rich, has excess, needless, or more than is needed. I would much rather say "superfluous" then have to say " more than is needed". it not only sounds better but you can use it in many ways since there's a couple meanings to the word.

Synonyms
My word is a lot like extra, but its different because extrajust means that theres leftovers or more than enough. Superfluous means that there is excess, unnecessary or needless supplies or materials. It's a much better and more in-depth way of saying extra.

Antonyms
My word is the opposite of insufficient, which means not enough or inadequate.

I would give this word 5 out of 5 stars. excessive has always sounded wierd to me and it doesen't sound fluent. Superfluous flows very well when you say it. You can use this word whenever and it's just an awesome word to substitute for simple words like "more than enough" and "excess".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers